Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Feeling the Earth Move....

shit...sorry guys, I forgot that none of you speak portuguese. here it is in english


Good thread, uncle. Three albums, and only three, is tough. To think back and recall which albums moved me the first time is a tall order. I remember having my brain adjusted when I went out and bought Tom Waits' Frank's Wild Years after hearing Cold, Cold Ground on Vin Scelsia's Idiot's Delight sunday morning radio show on K-Rock. I also tapped into a new part of the grey matter when I brought home Taj Mahal's Greatest hits after stumbling upon him grooving at the Damrosch Park Bandshell at Lincoln Center in New York City in the summer of 1987. Another flabbergast occured in the summer of 1991 when I was giving the MOG (Tim Weaver, uncle's little little little little) a lift to Yellowstone N.P. (and beyond?) when he slipped They Might Be Giants - Flood into the cassette player....whoa! But if I have to pick three......

1. Brighten the Corners - Pavement. Rock as it ought to be. This disc immediately went into and has been in permanent rotation on my ipod and stereo for over 5 years.

2. Sugar in My Bowl: 1967-1972 - Nina Simone. Un-freaking-believable. You've got your blues, your soul, your jazz, your ballads, your luv makin' music, and a huge and gut wrenching dose of civil rights era pain and anger. The three songs recorded live the night after The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's assassination do not cease to make me cry. Connecting it to another thread - there are a lot of covers on this album. "To Love Somebody" is a mind-blower compared to Andy Gibb's version.

3. Round About Midnight - Miles Davis. I guess this choice is kind of like the Beatle's White Album in that it's a fairly common fave but purists would rate it in the middle of an artists body of work (in favor of In a Silent Way by Miles or Revolver or Rubber Soul by the Beatles). I've been playing and listenting to jazz since I was 15 years old but for some odd reason I skipped Miles and went straight to Coltrane and beyond. I was 24 when I first heard Round About Midnight and I'm all better now.

e

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home