Friday, November 19, 2004

Pardon Nixon!

For the record, I knew the answer to Jimmy's riddle. In an interesting weave of threads, The Connells are one of the bands I thought of when Rhinolips mentioned bands that never quite made it. They were poised to get out of the underground after the One Simple Word and Ring albums (and after playing Trinkle Hall), and then they just disappeared. Other bands I enjoy who experienced the same limited success include Camper van Beethoven/Cracker, the Housemartins, Oingo Boingo, Big Head Todd & the Monsters, Joe Jackson, and Hoodoo Gurus. Conversely, there are a few bands whose music I listened to for some time and figured they'd hit the ceiling, only to see them reach greater heights later, like They Might Be Giants, Wilco, and Ween.

I have one Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper CD, Root Hog or Die. "Vibrator Dependent" and "She Put a Louisiana Liplock on my Love Pork Chop" are fantastic. You're right, though, his work has been utterly erased like Jewish literature in Nazi Germany or something -- who did Mojo piss off? Okay, who didn't he piss off? With songs like "Debbie Gibson Is Pregnant With My Two-Headed Love Child" and "Don Henley Must Die," he wasn't making friends with music biz folks, I guess. You can usually find a Mojo&Skid CD on Ebay, though. The Man will never eradicate the spirit of Mojo, baby!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home