Friday, November 19, 2004

Hi, We're the Replacements

A line from a song by a band that more people should love about another band that more people should love. Both They Might Be Giants and The Replacements have had their share of critical and commercial success, but the fact that more Americans can sing along to "Hit Me Baby, One More Time" than to "Don't Let's Start" or "Alex Chilton" is really rather depressing.

I'm adding the Replacements/Paul Westerberg to Whitney's list of almost-but-not-quite, and shaking my head about how much I agree with the rest of his list. It's like we lived together for years, or something.

And there's no reason to feel any guilt about enjoying the Connells, Jimmy. They hold a special place in my little alt-country-alt-prog heart as the first real underground band that I loved. Fun & Games is one of my favorite records of all-time, and I broke my rock club cherry at the old 9:30 Club at a Connells show in the company of my friend's 21 year-old sister when I was but an impressionable lad of 18. Standing Slackjawed, indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home